Thursday 20 March 2014

ADVICE FROM AN EXPERT BY JAN PORTER

INTRODUCTION

Earlier on in the week I found myself picking the brains of one of England's most famous anglers, I presented my blog to Jan and asked him for his advice on blogging and how to become a pro angler. I thought it would be a good idea to share his advice with the viewers and I hope you enjoy the read as much as I did. I would like to take the opportunity once again to thank Jan for taking the time to not only check out the blog but but offer great advice too!



Jan Porter's advice! 

 I get asked a lot by younger anglers how to get a deal with tackle companies and become a pro. There's no fast answer but I always suggest record of log of your sessions, write blogs like you are doing. Invest in some reasonable camera equipment and hone photography skills. Obviously it's important to learn techniques and better to be a master of one style/species at a time than jack of all trades. I believe that catching fish on a float loose feeding little and often is a great starting point, location is paramount. Balanced tackle, local knowledge and watching the water is essential in fast tracking to experience. There are so many helpful resources on youtube, in the printed media and via company DVDs there has never been more knowledge to hand. Above all this it's crucial to get a decent job as ones mainstay income until you are in a position to make a decent living out of being a full time angler. By that I don't mean signing every day but working behind the scenes with your partner company having built up a credible reputation on the boat/bank. Always think carefully about aligning your brand with a tackle/bait company just for cheap bait. This is fine as a hobbyist but jumping from one company to another can/will possibly devalue your worth and it's a downward spiral. I've been with Shimano for nearly twenty years but I was at the top of my game when they took me on I had some smaller non conflict of interest deals prior but all with blue chip brands. Octoplus, Van Den Eynde plus Richworth and Realtree. Hope this helps. Jan

3 comments:

  1. Hello, I also would like to comment over all the points mentioned in this blog. I agree with essence of few point but somewhere I found myself on other place. I hope, there might little opinion of others as well.
    sea fishing albufeira

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can’t imagine focusing long enough to research; much less write this kind of article. You’ve outdone yourself with this material. This is great content. Hiking Ushuaia

    ReplyDelete